MaxQ Data Point Forum Index MaxQ Data Point
Supporting the MaxQData User Community

MaxQData Home Page | MaxQData Wiki
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaxQData for the iPhone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> Suggestions and feature requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaWorstPlaya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: MaxQData for the iPhone Reply with quote

I would love to see the MaxQData app for the iPhone. As you guys know the iPhone as built in accelerometers and a very nice touchscreen. Currently I'm using MQGPS 10Hz model (without accelerometer) with the ASUS Pocket PC but it would be nice to see the app ported to the iPhone and use the iPhone accelerometers in conjunction with the GPS data from the MQGPS. How cool would that be? Breath new life into the old MQGPS system and offer it for a small upgrade fee ...

As you know the iPhone has assisted GPS. Maybe it could be incorporated, maybe it could be completely discarded.
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major problem with the iPhone is that the GPS is a comparatively low-performance GPS capable of only about 1 Hz sampling. On top of that, to date Apple has not allowed external Bluetooth GPS modules to be connected to the iPhone. These are serious drawbacks if you are worried about accurate data. If Apple ever changes their policy on external Bluetooth GPS modules, then there might be a reason to do this.
kevinmmccormick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also love to see a MaxQData Flight and Chart for the iPhone!

Apple recently announced that their new iPhone OS (3.0) will support connecting to external Bluetooth accessories, so at the very least the possibility is now there to connect to a higher def GPS module.
naschmitz

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a copy for my iPhone if it was supported. By the way, that would be the third copy of the MaxQ software I purchased too.
DaWorstPlaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinmmccormick wrote:
I would also love to see a MaxQData Flight and Chart for the iPhone!

Apple recently announced that their new iPhone OS (3.0) will support connecting to external Bluetooth accessories, so at the very least the possibility is now there to connect to a higher def GPS module.

Exactly what I was going to say, with iPhone OS 3.0 supposedly Apple has opened up more of their Bluetooth profiles (eg: A2DP). And since there is a Tom Tom app being built for the iPhone with a certain accessory that is compulsory for it to properly work, there is a good chance the profiles needed for the MQGPS may be opened up.

For the time being it would be great if we could get a running version of Flight where you could combine the accelerometers built into the iPhone with a MQGPS 5Hz or 10Hz system to smooth out the data in Flight program.

Eventually you could incorporate the camera and accelerometer in the iPhone to design a complete VeQtr system, as OS 3.0 is supposed to allow video recording. How cool would that be? Setting up your iPhone on your car to record telemetry, aided by inertial accelerometers and real time video for a full VeQtr system only this time there are much fewer components and one iPhone to rule them all. Wink

I wouldn't mind if you guys did the same thing for a Google Android based phone .... Razz

Until then I'll just continue to use my MQGPS 10Hz with the ASUS PDA Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> Suggestions and feature requests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: