MaxQ Data Point Forum Index MaxQ Data Point
Supporting the MaxQData User Community

MaxQData Home Page | MaxQData Wiki
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wintec G-Rays I (WBT-300) Dead?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott McIntyre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Wintec G-Rays I (WBT-300) Dead? Reply with quote

I went the DIY route this spring and got a Wintec G-Rays I (WBT-300) GPS receiver. Now the WBT-300 will no loner work. I charge it via the USB cable, but the unit won't power on.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
tcj103

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine since late June, (WBT-300) at 2 events, with a lot of testing in between. Worked the last time I tried it.

Have you tried plugging it in to a computer, then turning it on?
Scott McIntyre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tried powering it up with the USB cable plugged in, but it seems unresponsive. It looks like it's charging, but won't power on.

I'm sending it back under warranty. Hopefully they'll fix / replace it.
Scott McIntyre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

As a follow up, it turned out the GPS unit was defective and I now have a new unit under warranty.

However, now I'm having trouble connecting to the new GPS with my PPC. I get the following error:

My PPC is a Dell Axim X51v running Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, and the GPS unit is the Wintec G-Rays I (WBT-300). I have not made any changes to the PPC since last using it with the old GPS unit successfully.

I took a series of screen captures showing the sequence of steps I took in an attempt to connect to the GPS. They can be viewed here with brief descriptions of each step: http://s498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/scmcint/Wintec%20G-Rays%20I/?albumview=grid

Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions on how to resolve this problem... Question Question

Thanks.

-Scott
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had an award for "most prepared customer asking for support", you would win it. Thanks for all the detail.

To clarify the situation (if this isn't evident to you or whoever else reads this), the error "The COM port could not be created. Please check your settings and try again." is from Windows Mobile directly, not from our software. What it means is that COM7 is already in use on the device. This is not unusual - many Pocket PCs have multiple COM ports, and most of them are already dedicated to internal hardware.

What you need to do is choose a COM port that isn't in use. In the 9th image in your photobucket sequence, where you have "COM7" as an option, you should hit the drop-down button and choose a different COM port. There is unfortunately no way to know in advance which ones are in use and which ones are available - you just have to keep trying them until you find one that works.

If you try every single COM port option and none of them work, then you are stuck. This probably means that the profiles Windows Mobile maintains for each Bluetooth connection have somehow become corrupted. Your only recourse at that point is to do a factory reset and do a ground-up reinstall.

If you still can't find an available COM port after doing the factory reset, then about the only thing you can do (other than purchase a newer Pocket PC) is contact Dell or search an Axim users forum to see if anyone else has had the same problem and knows how to resolve it. I have personally never seen this situation.
Scott McIntyre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed. I've tried all available COM ports and they give the same result.

I'll go ahead and reinstall Windows Mobile, at which point I'll presumably need to contact you for a new unlock code. It's about time I upgraded to version 3.2a anyway.
Scott McIntyre

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow up, I reset the the PPC to it's factory settings and was able to successfully connect to the new GPS receiver without a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: