MaxQ Data Point Forum Index MaxQ Data Point
Supporting the MaxQData User Community

MaxQData Home Page | MaxQData Wiki
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.dll problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> MQGPS RS-232 or USB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: .dll problem Reply with quote

Ed,
I purchased the MaxQGPS a few weeks ago and have the program loaded and setup in my Pocket PC with no problem. At least none that Iím aware of at this point as Iím still waiting for the cable to connect to my particular unit to arrive (from China).

So, last night I figured Iíd load your RS232 program into my laptop to try and get somewhat familiar with it until the other cable arrives.

I am having a problem opening the programs. When I tried to run the .exe file I got an error message saying something about this file:
ďProgram files\MaxQData\MQSensorDrivers.dllĒ

The file continued to finish opening and I when I try to open Setup, I get a Runtime Error for MQSETUP.EXE. It says something about:

ďThe application has required the runtime to terminate in an unusual way.Ē

When I look at the details window I get the following message:

MQSETUP caused an exception 40000015H in module MQSETUP.EXE at 0167:0041fd32

I think this may be a problem with my laptop and/or the O.S. in it, but Iím not sure.
FWIW, it an older HP Omnibook 4100 (266mhz CPU) that I use for tuning, running Windows 98se.

Can you help me out with this?
Thanks,
Jay
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay,

The file "MQSensorDrivers.dll" contains the code which is responsible for translating the raw data from the MQGPS into usable form. It is a self-registering .DLL file. During the installation process, this file gets copied to the install directory, and then the install program calls it so that it can register itself with the operating system. I think you are having a problem at that point.

The software should run on W98SE. I am not sure why the install did not work correctly.

Try the following. First, check to see if the "MQSensorDrivers.dll" file is actually present in your install directory (e.g. c:\Program Files\MaxQData). Assuming that it is there, then open an MS-DOS prompt and switch over to the install directory ("cd \Program Files\MaxQData"). then type this command:

C:\> regsvr32 MQSensorDrivers.dll

If this doesn't give you an error, then you should be all set. Run MaxQData Setup and if you don't get an error, you're good to go.
If you do get an error, then please post the error message and we'll look into it further.
jay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Ed. I didnít get a chance to do anything with it yesterday and donít have my laptop with me today so Iíll have to try that later. I still would like the option of using the laptop for viewing the data from the pocket PC.

I did, however, get the cable Iíve been waiting on for the Pocket PC yesterday. So thatís why I didnít get to the laptop issue, I was out playing with the MQGPS.
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jay. Please post when you have had a chance to look at the laptop issue. We have a number of customers already using laptops, so it should work.
jay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried your suggestion on the DOS prompt entry to no avail, unfortunately. I did download the program to my desktop (Windows XP) and it works fine. Then I was able to see the file you mentioned, ("MQSensorDrivers.dll") was in the correct directory, whereas I couldn't see it in the laptop. It's there, but hidden (?) I did a search and it shows that it is in the correct directory.

I even copied the file from my desktop on a portable drive and pasted it into the correct directory on the laptop, still can't see the file Rolling Eyes .

Went so far as to remove everything from the laptop (short of the OS) and re-installing everything. Still getting the same errors.

Maybe I need to just install winXP into the laptop?
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay,

I think we've found the problem. It probably happend recently when we switched over to the latest Microsoft compilers. The MaxQData software is compiled for the Unicode international character set (W2K and later). It's not supported on W98 without jumping through several hoops. Though we did have Unicode support for W98 before, we apparently lost it during the porting process to the new compilers.

Reenabling Unicode support for W98 is somewhat involved. If you are looking for an excuse to upgrade your laptop to Windows XP (or at least Windows 2000), this is as good as any. Not to mention the greatly improved system stability... Smile

(Which brings up the fact that very few customers are requesting W98 support anymore. We will have to drop it at some point.)
jay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Ed, I was hoping I could get it to work with win98 butÖ..

I was all set to upgrade to XP until I looked at the minimum requirements, looks like I canít pull it off with my current equipment (266mhz CPU w/64meg RAM). I think itís time for me to buy a newer laptop! Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> MQGPS RS-232 or USB All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: