MaxQ Data Point Forum Index MaxQ Data Point
Supporting the MaxQData User Community

MaxQData Home Page | MaxQData Wiki
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature requests for autox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> Suggestions and feature requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Hollis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Feature requests for autox Reply with quote

I'm starting this thread to help share thoughts on improving the application of MAXQ to autox use. Ed has shown great interest in updating the software to make it easier to use and more beneficial to our segment of the motorsports market.

The first suggestion is to improve the auto-start functionality. The best approach I've seen is that which was used by the GEEZ cube and associated software. The key to its success was a "minimum run time" parameter combined with a run-stop signal based on speed. That way, false triggers were eliminated. You could basically turn on the system at the beginning of a heat and it would record all of your runs automatically. It worked especially well in a Pro Solo situation where you were moving up in the grid every 20 seconds or so. Each move-up would trigger a "start" and subsequent "stop" based on speed (or long-g), but the run data would be reset if the total duration was less than the "min run time" parameter.

How about it, Ed?

--Andy
Andy Hollis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Feature requests for autox Reply with quote

My second request is for a simple time/speed analysis when overlaying two runs. Highlight in green where the second run is faster than the first and in red where it is slower. And the width of the line (a la QView) is the amount of time increase or decrease.

Its seems easy to calculate at first blush, but I believe it is kinda tricky, but still doable. Here are my thoughts: Since Time is the key variable, we need to be keeping track of the delta time between each run, at each place along the track. This does not have to be done at record time, but instead can be done in a pre-display "fly through" in Chart. It is a "distance-along-the-track"-based chart where the width of the trace is the change in the change of time, at that place on the track. I guess you could call that the acceleration of elapsed time. Smile "Place on track" is relative to the direction of travel for each run to account for line choice dfferences. You compare distance between the line projections for the lines perpendicular to the car's path.

Hope this makes sense.

Your thoughts, Ed?

Anyone else?

--Andy
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding suggestions, Andy. Thanks for starting the thread.

With respect to improvements in the automatic flight recording trigger, may I ask what you find problematic with the current implementation? As it stands, the recording will trigger at a given start speed, but it will actually store about 20 seconds worth of data before the trigger point, in order to capture the launch and anything happening right before it. As long as you choose a start speed that is above what you would normally hit in the paddock, this should work pretty well. We could add a configurable parameter that causes Flight to discard runs shorter than N seconds without too much trouble. However, with the current software architecture we need to keep in mind the cost of throwing away a short run, which could be 10-15 seconds of inactivity as the Bluetooth connection is reset, the old file is closed and deleted, a new file is opened, etc. If you have a false positive immediately before a real run, this delay could cut off the beginning of the actual run.

As for triggering based on acceleration like some other systems do, we've never been satisfied with that. Too many false positives.

Your second request is tricky to get right. We've been thinking about it for a while now, and we've got something in the works. Your suggested implementation is clever.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote something along the lines of the 2nd request. I used distance as the trigger then compared speed, g-forces, and relative position (ahead/behind, left or right) one lap to another. This was done on a segment basis.

Works for me. I can probably post a screen shot if interested.
SoSlow2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see if the "Green" and "Red" cross hair appears in ZOOM mode.

Actually if the cross hair in Zoom mode( middle of the screen ) represents the current location of "File A" at Time=t, then a cross hair (Red) in this case could be used to show current postion of "File B" at Time=t.

I really like the GPS full map, but miss the cross hair in zoom mode.
Rod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. It would be nice to be able to hide the four line sensor selector in the chart view. My PPC is a phone version and it'd be nice to have more screen when looking at the Qview. Perhaps you could dispay the actual sensor readings in the color of the line in the top left/top right of the actual chart instead?

2. It would be nice if landscape mode was supported, especially if you could hide the sensor selector, as above. That way you could show two maps side by side and see quite a bit.

3. My PPC has a joystick (as probably most do), it would be REALLY nice to be able to scroll through the run with the joystick (or any user assigned buttons), rather than having to touch the screen with the pen.

4. I always tend to bring up the same sensors when viewing a map. It would be nice if the sensors defaulted to the last sensors used.

6. I like Ambrose's suggestion of showing the cross hair in zoom mode (i.e. on the time view). I'd also like to see this in Qview mode. I wonder if you could incorporate a bit of what Andy is suggesting regarding showing the speed when you have two maps displayed. However, I think Andy is looking for a time speed analysis on it's own (i.e. without the rest of Qview).

If you show the crosshair, as Ambrose suggests, could you make the one crosshair that is slower dotted, and the faster solid (and perhaps larger) ? Perhaps show a crosshair, with a circle around it, that way you'd be able to tell very easily which one is faster, even if they are on top of each other.

I'm thinking that you could always compare speed based on where Map A is positioned but there is two ways to do it. The first would be Map A's current speed vs. Map B's Current speed. The second would be Map A's current speed vs. Map B's speed when it is at Map A's position.

Another way to show this might be to constantly display the difference between Map A and Map B (i.e. just dispaly the time in seconds in the top left or somewhere, kind of like a constantly moving beacon that is at Map A's position), as well as charting a line that goes above zero if Map A is accelerating over Map B and below zero if Map B is catching up (assuming Map B is behind, but you get the picture).

Regards,

Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> Suggestions and feature requests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: