MaxQ Data Point Forum Index MaxQ Data Point
Supporting the MaxQData User Community

MaxQData Home Page | MaxQData Wiki
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

work with a nmea type of gps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> Suggestions and feature requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sachilles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: work with a nmea type of gps? Reply with quote

Just a quick question/comment.

The big advantage to your software/gps combo is the accelerometers for the mapping of runs/laps.
However, some folks may already have a pocket pc, and a gps.

I'm wondering if you'd consider writing the program in such a way that you can use a regular nmea compatible gps. Of course you would charge for the software in that instance.
That software would still be very usefull for lap timing.

Perhaps you could do add on module that only has the accelerometers. So that if someone already have a gps, they don't have to shell out for the gps portion of the device.

-Seth
(who desperately wants to use your software next season, but doesn't think he can convince the wife to let him buy it and new race tires for this season).
97 Audi 1.8tq
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the software already works this way. You can use the software with any NMEA GPS module. Just set up the COM port correctly. This is a good way to check out the system before deciding if you want to go with an MQGPS or an MQ200. However, since you will only have a 1 Hz sampling rate, it's not nearly as useful as having the higher sampling rate from the MaxQData hardware.

For now, we aren't charging anyone for using the software with a 1 Hz GPS from another source. That may change in the future.
sachilles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get it to work just fine.
I definitely see the benefit of being able to use a quicker sample rate.

It does give me a good idea of how the software works, and that I want to get the correct gps module to work with it.
97 Audi 1.8tq
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> Suggestions and feature requests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: