MaxQ Data Point Forum Index MaxQ Data Point
Supporting the MaxQData User Community

MaxQData Home Page | MaxQData Wiki
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delimiter used in end of line / row in exported txt / CSV ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> Suggestions and feature requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_C

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Delimiter used in end of line / row in exported txt / CSV ? Reply with quote

We're trying to get the data into FAMOS analysis software, but it doesn't recognise the delimiters used.
Ideally, it needs a 'carriage return line feed option? The 'Timeslip' option has this we note - but obviously not of use for our data.

Other things that 'FAMOS' doesn't like, is the second row (if you look at it in excel) that has the units.

eg:

Time . TransSpeed . TransSpeed . TPS . A07 . etc, etc (row 1)
. s . . . . . . .MPH . . . . . . . KPH . . . . . v . . . v . . . . . . . . (row 2)

If another output option that was a 'FAMOS Friendly' CSV for example, that'd be a fantastic option.

Something like this on the first row:

Time_S . . TransSpeed_MPH . . TransSpeed_KPH . . TPS_% . . A07_v . . etc, etc

...would be much more beneficial. Also, no spaces between the words - eg, "Internal LongG" would be better as "InternalLongG".

These would make my life much easier, as I've got tons of files to get into FAMOS, all of which i have to mess about with before it'll recognise them.

Cheers,

Dave C
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm surprised FAMOS isn't smart enough to be able to deal with <cr> line termination instead of <cr><lf>. Excel can do that, and customers using other analytical packages haven't had a problem.

We'll look into adding <lf> in the next version. In the meantime, there are any number of text editors, such as TextPad, that can be used to quickly change all of the <cr> characters into <cr><lf> characters for you. Alternatively, you could simply load the CSV into Excel and resave it.

The units row is an important row. Excel doesn't have a problem loading it. There's nothing wrong with it syntactically. Seems like a bug in FAMOS. Again, a text editor can be used to eliminate this row with a couple of keypresses.

The spaces in the names are important to keep them consistent with the true sensor names that you see in the MaxQData software. If FAMOS doesn't like them, most text editors will take the spaces out with little effort. TextPad is even powerful enough to merge the second row with the first row the way you want it, though it requires learning how to use Regular Expressions and the macro capability.
Dave_C

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed!

I too am suprised about the importing. Something as recognised and developed as Famos should have no probs with this in my mind?

second line option... Unless we're missing something of course - again - I agree this shouldn't be an issue. I imagine it is myself not doing something right, but I really can't figure it out.

BTW - thanks for all the hard work you put in getting MaxQ to talk to our previously un-recognised engine. I am really impressed with the data we're getting for such a (relativly) low cost unit. Very Happy
Dave_C

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - It is a bug in the Famos software; they have been made aware and will be fixing it...

Sorry for doubting you Ed! Laughing
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they were all that easy! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> Suggestions and feature requests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: