MaxQ Data Point Forum Index MaxQ Data Point
Supporting the MaxQData User Community

MaxQData Home Page | MaxQData Wiki
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VeQtr video systems now available!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: VeQtr video systems now available! Reply with quote

We've been hard at work developing our innovative new VeQtr systems for capturing both data and video. Now we have unleashed them. The VeQtr-1 combines an MQGPS-TraQr with a standalone digital video camera. The VeQtr-X supports capture from up to four camera feeds simultaneously with MQGPS-HiDef data, with fully automatic operation so you never again need to remember to turn on your camera before hitting the track.

Our new Chart software allows you to view the video at the same time as the data, and play back both while retaining synchronization. You can even view two videos side-by-side, or the same video starting on different laps. It even has the ability to upload to YouTube.

These systems aren't just groundbreaking, they are easy to afford. In fact, until December 31st, we are offering the VeQtr-X system with two cameras for only $999 (!), and that price includes a brand new laptop (!!!).

Check out the new products here: http://www.maxqdata.com/VeQtr.htm

We've got all the basic information posted on that page, but please feel free to ask any additional questions you may have on this thread.
dvcn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us that have an older gps (usb) unit and have a camera that gives mpg/avi formats, will you sell just the software to merge the data and video?
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we will have a new version of Chart that you can use to view your data along with video captured with a third party camera, and also generate video overlay files. Introductory price of the video-enabled version of Chart will be $99. (the data-only version will still be free) This will be orderable on the website soon.

Just to be clear, the disadvantage of doing this compared to the VeQtr-X is that, with the standalone camera, you need to manually transfer both your data files and your video files to a PC, then load them in Chart, transcode the video file, manually align it with the data, then optionally generate data overlay video files. The VeQtr-X system does all this automatically, and the data overlay is generated while you are driving. That means you can view it immediately after coming off course instead of having to wait until you manually merge the data with the video. Plus, with the VeQtr-X it is easy and inexpensive to add additional cameras for picture-in-picture views.

Because the VeQtr-X is so much more powerful and easier to deal with than using a standalone camera, yet still inexpensive (and you get a new laptop included in the price!), we think most customers would be better off eBaying their camera or old laptop and upgrading to the VeQtr-X... of course, that's just us Smile We have both options available because we know some customers will still want to use whatever camera they already have.
bluesunit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see these new capabilities!

Just to check: I just purchased a MQGPS-HiDef unit and a Dell Inspiron Mini with a solid state drive. If I add a USB camera and the video verson of Chart into the mix, will I be able to "roll my own" version of the VeQTR-X system?

Or will it only work with the camera and gear you have set up?

Thanks!
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will definitely be able to "roll your own". Shortly we will be releasing "DIY" software options so you can do just that.

Almost any USB camera will work to create a VeQtr-X system. We have tested quite a few of them, from $25 to $400, and we know which ones work best. The nice thing about using USB cameras is the huge variety at reasonable cost. There are cameras with night vision, high speed cameras that can do 90 FPS or higher, tiny cameras you can mount in unusual places, cameras with replaceable lenses, etc. On the other hand, some of them have various annoying quirks that make them a bit difficult to use, so we will post a list of some of the cameras we have tested with pros and cons. The Logitech QuickCam 9000 Pro is the best all-around choice we have found for the primary camera. Another very good choice is the Microsoft VX-6000. The Microsoft VX-5000 is the best all-around choice we have found for the secondary camera, though the VX-3000 also does a very good job.

As far as laptops go, the recommended minimum specs are:

- 1.6 MHz single-core Intel Atom (N270)
- 1 GB RAM
- 2 GB free disk space (enough for 2-8 hours of recording time depending on settings)
- Bluetooth, either internal or USB dongle
- 2 free USB ports so you can plug in 2 USB cameras

Most of the current generation of inexpensive mini-notebooks meet these requirements.

We have tested our software on lesser laptops (for example, a 900 MHz Intel Celeron M) with usable results, but you may need to sacrifice video resolution or FPS.

Last edited by Ed on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
switcher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Neat stuff - glad I waited on my Video software! Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Yes, we will have a new version of Chart that you can use to view your data along with video captured with a third party camera, and also generate video overlay files. Introductory price of the video-enabled version of Chart will be $99. (the data-only version will still be free) This will be orderable on the website soon.

Please let me know when VE-Chart is available as I have video awaiting data Smile

Thanks,
Jim.
bluesunit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed!

I haven't even put hands on my system yet and I'm already impressed with the capabilities. I know several guys in our region who already have MQGPS modules and cameras and will be chomping at the bit to get a hold of something that will allow them to integrate everything.
morrisg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Windows XP OS required for VeQtr systems? Amazon has a great deal on an Asus Eee PC1000 with Linux ($477), but XP Home is $179 standalone. So, is Windows XP a must?

Thanks!
orangecone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH YEAH!! I would love to see the Video-enabled chart software.

I started with the 5Hz, upgrade to 10Hz. I have loads of autox and track video file and MaxQ data file. I don't know why I keep them. If you get me the software, I would have something to do with them Very Happy
gareno

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this system compatible with a mac?
#36 GS
KevinDietz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VeQtr-X system requires windows software to run, it will not work on linux or Mac. Sorry.

The windows system is the most widely popular and used OS so we have targeted our products to works on these prolific systems. You can run windows on a mac that might be a fix for some of you.

We had a great time showing our new video-data system at the PRI Show in Orlando last week. People just can't believe that you can purchase our entire system for under a grand and it comes with a brand new fully functional laptop computer. Most data systems, when not being used to record data, are black box door stops when not in use. MaxQ's innovative approach to Video and Data logging, uses off the shelf electronics. This keeps the cost affordable and the features of our products expandable, and upgradeable on a much quicker time line than a dedicated black box system.

Some features like real time voice data information, voice recognition and faster, higher res cameras and computers will ensure our systems will only get better. And like our other MQGPS products as we improve our software the updates will be free to current customers. We are excited at MaxQData the future of Video/Data Analysis is here. VeQtr-X

Merry Christmas to all our customers, and an even faster 2009!

Kevin Dietz
Sales and Service
MaxQData LLC
3. Bigger Brakes
4. or just give me the keys!

Last edited by KevinDietz on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
KevinDietz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would post this message from Ed to a customer it may help someone else.

from ED

Sorry for the delay in responding - we were exhibiting the new video products at the PRI show in Orlando and didn't get back until last Tuesday, and since then we've been fighting some highly unusual winter weather here in Seattle. In any case, I'm glad to hear that you are interested in the video systems. To answer your questions:

Yes, the video system will work with the regular MQGPS (in fact, it will work with any of our systems going back to the MQ100)

You can definitely use it with the MQ200. But if you are thinking about upgrading to the MQ200, I would encourage you to hold off for another month or two. We are currently designing the replacement for the MQ200. In the meantime, you could use the video system with your current MQGPS, and then add the new MQ200 box when it becomes available.

Here are our upgrade options for existing customers. We send these out in email on 11/26 - did you see that email?

- If you have an MQGPS-HiDef (or MQGPS-5Hz) and you did not buy a Pocket PC from us, and you would like to upgrade to a VeQtr-X system, you only need to pay $690 to get the VeQtr-X with the Acer Aspire One notebook.

- If you have an MQGPS-HiDef (or MQGPS-5Hz) and you *did* buy a Pocket PC from us, and you would like to upgrade to a VeQtr-X system and replace your Pocket PC with a mini-notebook, you can send us your Pocket PC and we will credit you $100 towards the price, so that would be only $590 to get the VeQtr-X system with the Acer Aspire One notebook.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Sincerely,

Ed Lansinger
MaxQData, LLC
daverx7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! I have the MQ200-RT and already own an EEE PC 900 (non-atom), but would like to try out the new software with it.

I am anticipating that it will likely be good enough to only use it for data logging, but it wouldn't hurt to see how well it does with the video as well.

Is the software available for download?

Side topic... what are people doing to mount these Netbooks?

Thanks,

-Dave
bluesunit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished setting up my rig today (still waiting on the stand alone VideoChart software). I have two Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000s running into a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 which I have jammed into the passenger seat map pocket in my Civic. I set up a VNC connection via wireless ad-hoc between my iPhone and the laptop so that I can use Chart, Flight, and the recording software without having to fish the laptop out. Here's the results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asZ1CEAQulo

Camera mounts are stable ... this was taken in downtown New Orleans where all the streets are cobblestone, brick, or broken pavement. I'm surprised the shaking isn't worse. There are some CPU jitters, but I've since solved that. St the end, I have to turn the video off with the laptop because my iPhone had gone to sleep. The cruddy resolution is because I uploaded it in iPhone format. The real video looks much better.
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.0a software is now downloadable from the website. It includes the new "VeQtr" video capture features so you can record video directly to your laptop. It also includes the video post processing features for generating data overlays if you want to capture video with a standalone camera.

DIY unlock codes are available for those who want to put together their own hardware. You do not need an unlock code to try things. Everything works, including all video features, without an unlock code. However, GPS sample rate and video FPS rate are all locked to a slow setting. You can at least preview the video at full speed.

I'm setting up a forum dedicated to the VeQtr, so please feel free to move all video/VeQtr discussions there.

Dave, just FYI, we've tested the system on an Eee PC 900 (900 MHz Celeron M). It's simply not as fast as the 1.6 GHz Atom 270 for video encoding. It will capture video, but you may have to turn down the FPS, otherwise you will get a lot of dropped frames. You might also try fiddling with the bit depth setting - for example, a 16-bit setting like I420 instead of RGB24 reduces the amount of data processed per frame and might improve things. Or just turn down the video size to 320x240, which will help significantly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: