MaxQ Data Point Forum Index MaxQ Data Point
Supporting the MaxQData User Community

MaxQData Home Page | MaxQData Wiki
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tested cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> VeQtr Systems and Video Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Tested cameras Reply with quote

This topic covers cameras that people have tested with the VeQtr video capture features. If you've tried a camera and it worked (or even if it didn't), list it here along with any special settings you needed to get it to run.
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 Reply with quote

The Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 has been working well for us as a primary camera. The image quality is the best we've seen to date, and the camera is easy to configure. It has glass optics. The auto focus setting is nice but not really necessary because we prefer the manual focus setting. We use the RGB24 bit depth/colorspace setting.

The base is simple and easy to strap to our favorite Wood's Powr-Grip suction cup mounts. You could easily strap it directly to a roll bar, too.

The camera driver allows you to flip and mirror the image in case you need to mount it upside down, but this usually isn't necessary since, due to the design of the base, it's almost always possible to mount it right-side up.

You can certainly use this camera as a secondary camera, in which case you might benefit from setting all cameras to the I420 colorspace to save on USB and CPU bandwidth.

Last edited by Ed on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Microsoft VX-5000 Reply with quote

The Microsoft VX-5000 works well as a secondary camera. It also works pretty well as a fixed-focus primary camera, though the image quality is not as good as the Logitech QC Pro 9000. Still, it's nice not to have to worry about focusing it. Unlike some fixed-focus cameras, far away objects don't look out of focus.

This camera is perhaps the easiest of all to install due to its unique bendable tail and the fact that it doesn't need focusing. We normally flatten out the tail, put it on the dashboard, and slap a piece of duct tape across it. Or we wrap it around a roll bar and secure it with tape or a cable tie.

You need to select the YUY2 colorspace/bit depth to get it to work. MJPEG doesn't work.

Last edited by Ed on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Microsoft VX-6000 Reply with quote

The VX-6000 is nearly as good as the Logitech. The picture quality is maybe just a notch below the QuickCam 9000. It has manual focus, which is nice, although you will probably want to put a piece of tape on the focus ring to keep it from moving once it is set.

The base is very steady despite being adjustable up/down/left/right. You can wire tie it to a roll bar. It also straps easily to a Wood's Powr-Grip suction cup mount.

The camera driver allows you to flip and mirror the image in case you need to mount it upside down.
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Microsoft VX-3000 and VX-1000 Reply with quote

These cameras work pretty well and are also darn cheap. We typically use them as secondary cameras. The VX-1000 is fixed-focus, and the VX-3000 is manual focus. They have the same base as the VX-6000. You can flip and mirror the image for upside-down mounting.
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Microsoft LifeCam Show Reply with quote

We cannot recommend the Microsoft LifeCam Show. No matter what we tried, we simply could not get it to do 30 FPS. I hope they come out with an improved version, because it's very small and would be easy to stick into a wheel well or on a helmet.
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: DogCam Reply with quote

DogCamShop is selling a new CCD-based USB 2.0 "lipstick" camera called the DogCam Pro 520. We've tested it and it's nice. The image quality is not quite as good as the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, but it does have one key advantage, which is that it has "global shutter" instead of "rolling shutter". "Global shutter" means the entire video frame is captured at the same time, so there is no distortion of fast-moving images. "Rolling shutter" (which is what most webcams and a lot of camcorders have) means that there is a time delay between the top of the video frame and the bottom of the video frame. Global shutter is good for watching fast-moving things up close like suspension parts, views looking out side windows at high speed, or as a primary forward-looking camera in cars with extremely harsh suspensions or when operating over rough terrain. But for the majority of situations, global shutter doesn't provide enough benefit to be worth a price premium compared to rolling shutter cameras.

The DogCam Pro 520 is cylindrical, so it's easy to rotate into any position. Mounting it to the inside of the front windshield takes some thought since it is so long. Using the mounting hole at the back with the included adjustable base presents problems because the camera is long and, with its weight cantilevered so far forward, is prone to shaking. Better to strap it down using the body of the camera if you can manage it. It's easy to strap it down that way to a Wood's Powr-Grip suction mount.

The camera has manual focus. It also has manual zoom, but it's held in place with a tiny setscrew that is bound to fall out and get lost (so put a piece of tape over it).

One final thing of note is that the camera says it has a waterproof lens.
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Digi WatchPort/V3 Reply with quote

We've tested the Digi WatchPort/V3. The picture quality was not very good - very grainy and with weird artifacting in some cases, especially trees against the sky, where you get a strange raster-scan effect around the outline of the tree. It uses a CCD sensor so it has global shutter, and it can do extremely fast shutter speeds. These advantages would outweigh the picture quality issues in specialized applications. Part of the picture quality problem has to do with the fact that you have to enable compression in order to do 30 FPS 640x480. Uncompressed video looks better, but slower.

The base is pretty easy to adjust up/down/left/right.

Last edited by Ed on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Philips SPC1300NC Reply with quote

The Philips SPC1300NC has so much going for it that it could easily top the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 were it not for one fatal flaw (more on that in a second). It can do 60 FPS at 640x480, and up to 90 FPS at smaller frame sizes, so if your CPU can handle it, you can get some very nice high-speed recordings. This also reduces any rolling-shutter problems you might have. The picture quality is outstanding, even better than the Logitech. And it's cheaper, too.

What kills it is the autoexposure algorithm. It can't handle a bright, sunny day outdoors. We tried it and all we got were solid white videos with just a hint of scenery visible. It works fine if you set the exposure manually, but it's awkward to do this, and you have to keep changing the exposure setting as the sun goes down.

The base is a little awkward to deal with because the camera doesn't want to stay in place once you have it adjusted. It's just too "floppy". You can correct this with judicious application of duct tape.
Aaron B

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tested a digital camera that has a PC camera function? I've used my digi cam (fuji S5000) in the past to record video and already have a mount made for it. It has a PC cam option and I've used it as a webcam in the past.

Looking at going the DIY VeQtr route and was hoping that this might work and save myself buying another camera right away (yeah, I'm cheap.)
eRic

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Sony webbie HD mhs-cm1 Reply with quote

Edit: I got a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 and everything works great. Thanks Kevin and Ed!

I have a Sony MHS-CM1 and MaxQData version 3.1h on my Dell mini 9. The video displays mirrored and upside-down ("30.0 fps" is upside down) when I'm in Setup Camera Capture Settings and click Preview and in Flight when I click Check cameras... but it doesn't record any video files when Flight is recording. Flight sensors to log include Video Sync. MQ Module Configuration has Camera checked. Flight records a .mqd file. Chart has Enable video load checked and it lets me do post processing using video that was recorded with the camera without the USB web cam connection.
eRic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: USB streaming with a Sony camcorder works great Reply with quote

I went back to using my "old" Sony handycam that I forgot has USB streaming. Here's an autocross run that sounds good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOHoWuL-lxA
eRic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Microsoft LifeCam Cinema Reply with quote

the Microsoft LifeCam Cinema works. It does 720p at 30fps but I set it to 640x320 YUY2 at 30fps. The camera body is aluminum with a mic on top.
Fobio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Microsoft LifeCam Cinema Reply with quote

eRic wrote:
the Microsoft LifeCam Cinema works. It does 720p at 30fps but I set it to 640x320 YUY2 at 30fps. The camera body is aluminum with a mic on top.

have you tried recording at 720p? laggy? problems?
eRic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft LifeCam Cinema Reply with quote

Fobio wrote:
eRic wrote:

have you tried recording at 720p? laggy? problems?

720p is too much for my netbook to handle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> VeQtr Systems and Video Features All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: