MaxQ Data Point Forum Index MaxQ Data Point
Supporting the MaxQData User Community

MaxQData Home Page | MaxQData Wiki
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Performance monitoring/real time splits feature?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> New buyer questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alisonnic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Performance monitoring/real time splits feature? Reply with quote

I'm interested in using the MaxQData for road racing and track instruction. However, I want to see if a certain feature is or will be available.

I've been looking through the forums and online documentation and I don't see any reference to this feature.

What I'm interested in is called "Performance Monitor" by Farringdon. AiM refers to it as "Real Time Splits". This is *not* the traditional end-of-sector split times, which the MaxQData obviously does have.

Performance Monitor/Real Time Splits (ok, I'll call it RTS) means a display that shows the current lap's relative position compared to a reference lap (usually the previous best lap), continuously updated in real time.

So if I come out of turn 1 and I look down at the display, if I've done, say, two tenths better than the previous best lap, the RTS display would read:

Now let's say I mess up turn 2. I look down at the display going up the straight between 2 and 3, I'd look down at the display and it might now read:

+0.18

By the end of the straight, just before I brake for 3, it might read:

+0.27

Now I see the consequences of my lower exit speed. Not only did my mistake cost me time in the middle of the corner; I also lost time all the way up the straight.

The advantage of this setup over a traditional designated-sector split is that you can look at the display anywhere, on any lap, and see how you're doing. You don't have to wait till you get to the end of the next designated sector.

You don't have to set up sectors in software, either. You're live the minute you go out on the track. Post a good lap, and then try to beat it.

I've used this tool on a Farringdon data acq device, with a readout on the steering wheel. It's the single most useful learning/teaching tool I've ever seen.

Does the MaxQData have the ability to do this? If not, I would think that, given the data it's collecting, this would be relatively simple to implement.

If I can talk you into implementing this, Ed, I'll buy a MaxQData unit for sure!
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you, Alison - anything! Smile

What we've got right now is an innovative feature called "Time Since Last Here". It requires no setup, no beacon placement, no identification of a specific reference lap, etc. It's basically a continuous lap time readout that shows you how long it has been since you were last at the same point on the racetrack. A perfectly consistent driver will show a constant number (whatever her lap time is) for TSLH. But as soon as she makes a mistake, TSLH will increase. Or if she finds an improvement, TSLH will decrease. The drivers that use this feature find it very helpful, especially since they can check in on their lap time at any time instead of waiting for a lap or segment to be completed.

That's fairly close to what you are describing. It would be easy to augment this by holding the minimum lap time so far during the session on the display for reference, though probably you'd remember that anyways.

If that's not really what you want, PM me. Also PM me if you'd be interested to see some Cobra data from various tracks on the West Coast and to learn what we're cooking up for private pilots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> New buyer questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Contents © Copyright 2006 MaxQData, LLC