MaxQ Data Point Forum Index MaxQ Data Point
Supporting the MaxQData User Community

MaxQData Home Page | MaxQData Wiki
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorcycle applications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> New buyer questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2 Wheel racing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Motorcycle applications Reply with quote

Has anyone used MaxQ Data for motorcycle trackday use? Any suggestions on mounting for best reception? One last question, if you just want lap timing, split times, track maps do you need to wire the unit into the engine sensors?
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a number of motorcycle customers - hopefully someone will chime in. To answer your questions:

- Mount the MQGPS up next to the speedo or on the tail where it will have a clear view of the sky. Definitely don't put it under the seat or in your pocket.

- On the other hand, under the seat or in your pocket is fine for the Pocket PC. If you want to read real-time lap times, then mount it up by the speedometer.

- It is not necessary to wire the unit into engine sensors to get lap times/split times/track maps.
fizzer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used it on my R6 to make a test run through some local back roads. I just put it in the top map pouch of my tank bag.

It seemed to work pretty well, the tracking accuracy did suffer at some points, but I'm betting that was due to trees overhead more than anything else. In open parts of the road, it definately seemed more accurate. I used gpsvisualizer.com to overlay the data on the roads.

My only question has to do with a static mounting and lean angle. IIRC, the manual states that for best reception, the device shouldn't be more than 20 degrees off horizontal. How much does that really affect reception? Sport bike riders are going to spend a significant amount of time at lean angles greater than 20 degrees Smile
Ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trees can interefere with GPS signals if they are dense, creating a "foliage canyon" effect. But it also might depend on the mounting location and your riding position. You may want to reconsider whether having it in your tank bag is the optimal location. Your body, which is not transparent to the satellite signals, may already be blocking a significant portion of the sky (remember, the satellites are not simply straight overhead, but can be anywhere in the sky, even down to the horizon). Add some trees and that might be enough to produce marginal reception. A better location might be up with the speedo/tach, or on a flange off of the left or right clip-on (if you've watched "Feasting on Asphalt", notice where Alton Brown has his GPS mounted on his R 1200 GS). Or off the tail. The point is to minimize the amount of sky blocked by your body. I wouldn't recommend mounting it to the top of your helmet because I don't know if that would compromise safety.

Regarding the mounting angle, we haven't had any complaints from motorcycle customers using the system at extreme lean angles. I think the overall excellent satellite visibility when used on a bike (compared to, say, mounting it on the dashboard of a car with a metal roof) compensates for any loss of sensitivity you might get when leaned over.
tweek

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is nearly a year old - contributing my bit of experience thus far.

Pcoket mounting does not work! We tried one session that way and we got from the pits to pit lane and then nothing.

I had the unit mounted on the top of my triple clamp. seemed to work ok, but 3 of the 4 data sets were a bit sketchy. the first data set is beautiful. No jaggies at all. Perfect clean curves that show my lines exactly. The other sets are straight vectors that sort of look like the track, but don't really help me determine if I was on the line I wanted or not.

Saturday was pretty overcast so maybe that had an impact on the quality.

I go again in two weeks. By then I plan to fabricate a new bracket to hold the unit in the tail section of the bike. I just did a test were I threw it in side the pillion under the cover. Didn't collect anything. So that won't work. I need a way to hold it up on top, but I'd like to avoid drilling holes. I'm sure RNE will figure something out.

My only real grip about the Traqr is the mounting options for bikes. the unit is tiny which will make things easier, but they only include that leather pouch with a loop. It would have been cool if it had a flange on the side where a bolt of screw could go trhough to hold it to something. Also the cork backing on the battery case doesnt let adhesives stick so putting a velcro backing on it doesnt work very well. At least not for a $400 device.
marklee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I also having the same need of information, I think it resolved to much extent, Hanks for mentioning all this informative stuff, I really enjoyed this site.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaxQ Data Point Forum Index -> New buyer questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Contents © Copyright 2006 MaxQData, LLC